Jill Davenport Dining Table November 12th, 2018 - 08:02:11
Dining table. We'll start this one by getting the table ends put together. I never ever glue all four table legs and aprons together at once. There would just be too many things going on too many legs and aprons to try and get squared clamped down. Good fits and everything else, so I typically put the table ends together. First, let the glue dry and then I can connect them with the two remaining aprons, this glue of one together pretty well. I was really happy with all everything to fit together now this was a little bit of a fiasco.
It starts with me wearing a t-shirt that was a color. with all the crazy color, I'm about to get out a ratchet strap, which I needed to keep this thing. Squared and anytime. You see a ratchet, strap come out during glue up. You can be pretty confident that something does not go quite the way you wanted it to go, but it turned out okay. Well, that was drying. I went ahead and made the little accent trim pieces from the legs. I started with the board. You see there. I drew some very accurate rectangles that I needed to cut out. I needed to make little sticks really. So I started by running this thing through the planer a few times.
The goal was the number one get it flat number two remove enough material that I was down to clean, fresh wood. I did not at all want the reclaimed look for the trim pieces. I wanted that blond color - you see there Here. I am running this thing to the jointer. This puts a nice square edge on it and I can go from there. The table saw and get some reasonably square. Little sticks cut out. Once I had all my little sticks cut out, I could take them over. The miter saw cut them to the appropriate length. Most of them were pretty much identical, so I was able to set up a stop block and kind of knock this out pretty quickly. Getting those little things attached to the leg was kind of a challenge crawling around on my hands and knees. Little teeny tiny pieces of trim pin nailer it was. It was kind of a challenge, but it turns out that I really like how they look. I wasn't sure how it was going to look or how I'd like it, but I think it's going to work out. Well, with the frame assembled, I could turn my attention towards putting together the top now these boards, you see here, those are the only boards that I had to use for the top.
That was all the was love from that batch of lumber, so, regardless of color condition straightness whatever I had to make these work. Typically, when I'm putting a tabletop together, that's this big and with lumber. That's this rough! All I really try to do initially is get these things just flat enough that they'll sit decently on a table frame or a workbench or sawhorses, or anything I'm not trying to get them perfect. I'm not trying to get anything SuperDuper exact. I just want them to sit relatively flat and I want the joints between the bars to be good and tight.