Billie Chan Dining Table November 27th, 2018 - 04:54:04
Making my dining table, and the first thing is thanks to Timothy Coleman. I completely stole his design. this is my full-size own layout, so we've got the ground and top of my dining table here, so we're looking at a profile of one of the league assemblies, so I've just been sketching out some rough designs Of how the league's gonna kind of fit it, my bin have created again a couple of very rough Tetons based on these drawings, but again, very rough. And so now I'm going to take these patterns over to my bench and start cleaning out the lines with a spokeshave. I think, okay, so I've got this leftover board of Iroko from the sofa bill that did just before Christmas.
This is a nice piece of a quarter. Sawn stuff that we had leftover, so I'm going to use this to make the base of the table. So I'm just going to miss these as best I can along this plank. So I feel the often I'm asked how long it takes to make some of these pieces, so I thought I'd run you through how long it takes me to make this piece as we go. So I started this in pretty late one afternoon, so this is pretty much the end of that first afternoon, just cutting out these pieces on the bandsaw so the first thing the next morning I started cutting up my red oak for the top. I had bought a big packet load of this red oak for all the furniture in my house, so it's all 20 mils thick, so just thickness it down to what it needed to be, and I could start gluing it up into twice as thick for the table top, these smaller pieces went off into my press, while the bigger pieces just clamp up. So while that is drying, I can finish cutting out the pieces for the league assembly. So that is 2 hours have gone by. So I can pull these wards out of the clamps and start each joint in them, so at the top, in the clamps, I can get back to joining their legs together and it's getting a bit too late in the afternoon. He had to do maths, but I need to work out the centerpiece of the league structure.
So first I need to join a couple of big blocks that I wrote go together there with a having joint and that's another two hours gone. So I can pull the top out of the clips. Yeah, try and kind of circle, and there any bit I have. It would really work for this job as a down cat bit, which is not ideal, but it gets through their venture, and you can see there that it is beer o'clock. So that signals the end of the first day, so first thing in the morning. You can get into sanding the bottom of the top and putting the large round over around the edge, and then I can tuck it over and clean up. Some of the joins, so I thought I'd. Try, Atlas Minwax faster! I polyurethane to actually really nice stuff. It's perfect consistency right out of the can, or at least in my temperature.
It is so it's really in Chris section. While that coat is drying. I can get on to sanding all the link pants. So, with the Dreifort seeming to work out, I needed to work out the dimensions of the pieces of the ring that sits on top of the legs and with that team plate cut out, I could screw that to the roughed out pieces of red oak and then trim them to size, my appearance dropped by, so I've got them to help hold everything in place as best we could. So I could mark out the position of the league to the ring. So it's about here I'd say that the Joyner illness is not stupendously perfect, and I was very much relying on the epoxy filling a few gaps here and there just because I didn't have a geometry up of everything, just dialed in perfectly, and I was largely doing a lot of this by eye so well, it all went together. Fine and it works. It could have been a better idea and time for another coat on the tabletop, and that was the end of the second full day, and then I just use really an 80 grit paper to blend everything in and then work. My way back through the grips down to hand sanding everything to 240. I think so. It'S still pretty early in the morning. Getting this first coat on. I managed to get another coat on during the day, so the base gets two coats and then it was time to get it home. So all up that was three full days of work. Ice helped greatly by the super warm weather for all the drawing of the polyurethane, so yeah, that's how long it takes to make a table