Jill Davenport Dining Table November 09th, 2018 - 04:26:58
Getting the table ends put together. I never ever glue all four table legs and aprons together at once. There would just be too many things going on too many legs and aprons to try and get squared clamped down. Good fits and everything else, so I typically put the table ends together. First, let the glue dry and then I can connect them with the two remaining aprons, this glue of one together pretty well. I was really happy with all everything to fit together now this was a little bit of a fiasco. It starts with me wearing a t-shirt that was a color. I went ahead and made the little accent trim pieces from the legs. I started with the board. You see there. I drew some very accurate rectangles that I needed to cut out. I needed to make little sticks really. So I started by running this thing through the planer a few times. The goal was the number one get it flat number two remove enough material that I was down to clean, fresh wood. I did not at all want the reclaimed look for the trim pieces.
I wanted that blond color - you see there Here. I am running this thing to the jointer. This puts a nice square edge on it and I can go from there. The table saw and get some reasonably square. Little sticks cut out. Once I had all my little sticks cut out, I could take them over. The miter saw cut them to the appropriate length. Most of them were pretty much identical, so I was able to set up a stop block and kind of knock this out pretty quickly. Getting those little things attached to the leg was kind of a challenge crawling around on my hands and knees. Little teeny tiny pieces of trim pin nailer it was. It was kind of a challenge, but it turns out that I really like how they look. I wasn't sure how it was going to look or how I'd like it, but I think it's going to work out. Well, with the frame assembled, I could turn my attention towards putting together the top now these boards, you see here, those are the only boards that I had to use for the top. That was all the was love from that batch of lumber, so, regardless of color condition straightness whatever I had to make these work.
Typically, when I'm putting a tabletop together, that's this big and with lumber. That's this rough! All I really try to do initially is get these things just flat enough that they'll sit decently on a table frame or a workbench or sawhorses, or anything I'm not trying to get them perfect. I'm not trying to get anything SuperDuper exact. I just want them to sit relatively flat and I want the joints between the bars to be good and tight. It probably would have been more efficient to cut all the boards at the same time and then plane all the boards at the same time, but the amount of planning I had to do. It was a lot. I was sweating through t-shirts and I didn't get any actual blisters, but man I sure felt like I was going to. I ended up sharpening this plane on two separate occasions either because it's that low of a quality of plane or because I was doing that much planning or because I was planing old, somewhat dirty lumber. But it got to a point where it would just make the dust kind of, like you just saw shooting out of my table saw, it's a sweet dust collection system. I have right, but anyway there was a lot of planning about who you see for the five boards put together. It was looking good at that point. I was feeling confident this is the fifth board. It didn't need a whole lot of work but, as I said, man, it was. It was a lot of planning and I don't do that every day, so it wore me out Here.
I am getting ready to glue the five boards together. I wanted to do with the night before, but I was out of gas. I glued the first couple boards together ahead of time off camera, because I figured trying to do all five together at once. It was going to be a nightmare I felt like there would have been too much too much glue application too many boards to try and control during the clamping process better to do in small batches, and I probably overdid it when I tighten the clamps. In fact, I know I overdid it when I tighten the clamps, but it turned out pretty well. I was really happy with how the tabletop turned out aside from the fact that I made it a cup a little bit, which you can see there like when I'm trying to clamp that straight edge down to cut off the rough ends of the boards. I had to shim that thing to keep it flat, which was not the case pre glue, so overdid it a little bit on the clamps, but this is the the rough tabletop.